Prof.Dr.S.Kathirvelu graduated in Textile Technology with Proficiency Award for his 1st rank and First Class with Distinction through PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore under University of Madras in 1984 in the first four year batch of Engineering Education. During 1996-98, he did his full-time M.E in Textile Engineering through the Department of Textiles, University of Ghent, Belgium with the full-board university scholarship and graduated with great distinction. He started his part-time research studies through the Dept. of Textile Technology, KCT under Anna University, Chennai in 2006 and was the first KCT research scholar to successfully defend his PhD thesis in 2009.
After his brief stints with industry and educational institution, he served the TIIC Ltd, Chennai as Officer (Technical). After his post-graduation, he joined as Senior Lecturer (Garment Technology) and HOD I/C of Fashion Technology in SSM Institute of Textile Technology and Polytechnic College, Komarapalyam. During the course of his teaching career, he served various institutions such as Textile Engineering Dept., Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia as Lecturer and Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore as Assistant Professor and Professor. He also served a reputed private engineering college in Madurai for 4 years as its Principal. He has guided many UG and PG projects both in India and Ethiopia.
He has published many research papers in the leading national and international journals. He has organized, participated, presented and chaired many national and international conferences. He is a recognized research supervisor of Anna University, Chennai and is currently guiding 2 research scholars of Bahir Dar University as a joint supervisor. He is a fellow of Institution of Engineers, Kolkata and an active member of many professional bodies such as Indian Society of Technical Education, Institution of Valuers, Textile Institute and Computer Society of India. He had been awarded the Eminent Engineer Award by the Institution of Engineers, Madurai for his contribution to the Technical Education.
1. Professional Affiliations and Memberships
A.Life Member of ISTE (Indian Society of Technical Education)
B.Life Member and Fellow of IEI, Kolkata
C.Committee Member – IEI, Madurai Local Centre.
D.Member of the Textile Institute, Manchester, U.K.
E. Life Member of the Computer Society of India. F.Associate member of the Institution of Valuers, New Delhi.
2. AcademicandAdministrativeExperienceand MajorAchievements
A. Successfully improved the results of all years. In fact, the results were doubled from 33% to 66%
B. Successfully completed the NBA accreditation process and got the NBA accreditation.
C. Started all the professional bodies from IEI to IET. (ISTE, CIDC, IETE, CSI and ICTACTD for the various branches)
D. Prepared and implemented the six duties of faculty members for the success of the dept. and institution.
E. The first INSPIRE 2013, the prestigious DSTproject was initiated and achieved by my leadership.
F. Initiated the important Industry Institute Interactions (III-IGL, IV and IPT)
G. Approved Research Supervisor to guide Ph.D., Scholars of Anna University, Chennai.
3. Research Projects (Recently Completed) : Principal Investigator in respect of the following projects
A. Extraction of flax fibres from the Ethiopian Flax
B. Weft breakage studies of air jet weaving of BDTSC
C. Design modification and fabrication of plain power loom
D. Comparative study on yarn realization
E. Prediction of rotor and spun yarn strengths
4. Details of Awards and Recognition
|1||Proficiency Award||Highest aggregate marks in B.Tech Degree exams|
|2||Full-board scholarship||For the M.E degree studies at the University of Ghent, Belgium.|
|3||Full-board scholarship||For the M.E degree studies at the University of Ghent, Belgium.|
|3||Eminent Engineer||Institution of Engineers, Kolkata thro' its Madurai Local Centre.|
1) Kathirvelu S., D’Souza Louis and Bhaarathi Dhurai, ‘Review of Different Methods of Syntheses of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles’, Accepted for Publication in the International Journal, E Journal of Chemistry, India to be published in 2009.
2) Kathirvelu S., D’Souza Louis and Bhaarathi Dhurai, ‘Functional Finishing of Textiles through Nano-architecture, Published in the International Journal, Textile Science and Technology Journal, Iran, No.1 Vol.4 Spring 2006, pp. 1-15.
3) Kathirvelu S., D’Souza Louis and Bhaarathi Dhurai, ‘Nanotechnology applications in textiles’, Published in the International Journal, Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Chennai, India, Vol. 1, No. 5 (Oct. 2008), pp. 1-10.
4) Kathirvelu S., D’Souza Louis and Bhaarathi Dhurai, ‘Multifunctional finishing of cotton and blended fabrics treated with titanium dioxide nanoparticles’, Published in the International Journal, Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Chennai, India, Vol. 1, No. 6 (Nov. 2008), pp. 1-9.
5) Kathirvelu S., D’Souza Louis and Bhaarathi Dhurai, ‘A comparative study of multifunctional finishing of cotton and P/C blended fabrics treated with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide’, Published in the International Journal, Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Chennai, India, Vol. 1, No. 6 (Dec. 2008), pp. 1-12.
6) Kathirvelu S., D’Souza Louis and Bhaarathi Dhurai, ‘Study of stain-eliminating textiles using ZnO nanoparticles’, Accepted for Publication in the International Journal, Journal of the Textile Institute, Manchester, U.K to be published in 2009.
7) Kathirvelu S., D’Souza Louis and Bhaarathi Dhurai, ‘Study of UV Protection Finishing of Textiles Using ZnO Nanoparticles’, Accepted for Publication in the International Journal, Indian Journal of Fibre and Textile Research, New Delhi, India to be published in 2009.
8) Kathirvelu S., D’Souza Louis and Bhaarathi Dhurai, ‘Study of Anti-bacterial Finishing of Textiles Using ZnO Nanoparticles’, Accepted for Publication in the International Journal, Journal of the Textile Engineering Division, Institution of Engineers (India) Ltd., Kolkata, India to be published in 2009.
9) Kathirvelu S., D’Souza Louis and Bhaarathi Dhurai, ‘Nanotechnology Applications in Textiles: A review’, Accepted for Publication in the International Journal, Nano Trends, India, Vol. 5, Issue 3, December 2008, pp. 11-20.
10) Kathirvelu S., Dereje Berihun, “Effect of twist multiplier on weight and thickness of single jersey knitted fabrics”, Journal of Textile Association, July 2016.
11) Kathirvelu S., Dereje Berihun, “Study effect of twist multipliers on loop length, loop shape and tightness factors of single jersey and 1x1rib knitted fabrics”, Journal of Advances in Material Science and Engineering, vol. 2016, Article ID 5628387, 7 pages, 2016.
12) Kathirrvelu S, Daniel M, and Gashaw A, “Investigation on the Effect of Spindle Speed and Traveller Weight on the Tensile Properties of 21s Ne Cotton Ring Spun Yarns”, Zimbabwe Journal of Science & Technology pp 59 – 66 Vol.12  e-ISSN 24090360.
13) Dr.Kathirrvelu S, Daniel M, Gashaw A, “Effect of Spindle Speed and Traveller Weight on Hairiness and Twist Properties of 21s Ne Cotton Ring Spun Yarns” JARDCS, ISSN1943-23X, 16-Special Issue, 2017, Pages: 1250-1261.
14) S Kathirvelu, “Effect Of Yarn Structure on Mechanical Properties of Single Jersey Fabrics”, Annals of the University of Oradea, Fascicle of Textiles and Leatherwork, Vol XIX, Issue 2, page. 93-98.
15) G. B. Tesema, K. Subramanian, “A Study On The Fibre Parameters Of Cotton Quality and Processability Evaluation”, Journal of Textiles and Engineer, vo.25, 2018/3 no.111
6. Book Published
A Textbook of Yarn Manufacturing Technology Vol.I published by Abhishek Publications, Chandigarh coauthored with Ato.Gashaw Ashagre Walle, Asst.Professor, EiTEX, Ethiopia.
AIFD is situated in the permanent campus Nagareshwara Nagenahalli, Kothanur post, Bangalore – 560077. Campus is well equipped with state of the art machineries in all the laboratories.
- CAD Lab
- IT Lab
- Quality Control Lab
- Basic Sewing Lab
- Advanced Sewing Lab
- Dyeing and Finishing Lab
- Visual Merchandising Lab
- Fashion Photography Lab